I had my “gender revealing” ultrasound at 20 weeks. We are of the folk that find out the baby’s sex. Waiting that long to know is plenty long and surprise enough for us. I toyed with a few different ideas of how to tell our family and friends, and the most fun to tell, my two year old son. I seriously considered baking a cake. I’m not much of a baker, but found this super cute (and didn’t look all that complicated) recipe from Betty Crocker (if you haven’t yet seen this cake on Pinterest, check it out, soo cute). Well, I just wasn’t up to baking, and only my parents were available to share in the finished product, so on the way home from the ultrasound, we came up with plan b. Scroll down to check it out:
You guessed it, it’s a…girl!
Super easy DIY! Here’s how we did it:
-1/2 hr (or more depending how far away you live from a balloon store)
-large box (we for some reason had this huge Amazon box. I have no idea what came in that box…we order a lot online and I’m a little embarrassed we had such a huge box laying around!)
-4-12 balloons (depending on your box size)
-tape (we used both packing tape and scotch tape, but work whatever you have on hand)
- Find out the sex of your baby! Whether or not you’re having the ultrasound person put it in an envelope, or just having them tell you, this is the first thing you have to do!
- Run to a store that fills helium balloons, (a gift store, specialized store, party store, flower shop, or even some grocery stores) and get the appropriate amount of balloons you want. If you know you only have small boxes, you don’t need that many. If you, like me, do lots of online shopping and have huge boxes laying around, get a dozen. Remember, you don’t have to use them all in the box! Just make sure they extras are hidden until after the box is opened.
- Find a big box. (HINT: steps 2 and 3 are interchangeable. If you stressed out about box size, please, check for a box first).
- Tape the balloon strings to the bottom of the box, or not. Only add in this step if you’re concerned about birds (and/or other wildlife) dying from eating your flown away balloons. Not to sound harsh about this one or anything, but this is how my husband made me feel when I suggested just opening a box of balloons outdoors.
- Shove balloons in box and tape shut with packing tape. (HINT: The balloons should be trying to come out when you’re closing the box. You don’t want the balloons in there so tight they stay put when the box is open, then they won’t come flying out when it’s opened!)
I say this is truly the gender reveal for the lazy or last minute DIY-er. Yes, you can do more with this, ie: get a professional photographer to take fancy photos of you, have a big party and open in front of everyone, or whatever else you can think of! But if you have a soon to be older sibling like I did and want to tell them in a fun way (without baking) this is such a fun option. Extra bonus, they get to play with the balloons afterwards! We got a dozen balloons, only put eight in the box, hours of entertainment! Seriously, he played with them the rest of that day, the next day (on the ground once helium done) I cut the strings off and he’s still playing with them days later.
Have a happy gender reveal!